Friday, September 4, 2009

Student Center, on the way to class, 9:58a.m.

Student Center, on the way to class, 9:58a.m.

Should I pass like the others,

with no feelings of emotion,

just time on my hands and not a minute to waste?

Students are passing one by one,

rushing through the doors.

But not this old man, no.

Struggling in pain from old age,

tying to get through life one foot in front of the other.

Was this man in need of a small gesture?

Or was being on time the bigger issue?

Putting my heart and feelings before everything,

in a split second I immediately took action.

This man, struggling through life with a cane in one hand,

and holding himself up,

while looking down at the world,

Was not pleasing to me.

I feel obligated to help this man through guilt.

I hurry to the doors before him.

I quickly grabbed the handle, and turned it a mere ninety degrees,

I opened the door for this gentleman

And to my favor,

he then smiles at me and replies,

“Chivalry is not dead.”

So if I chose not to help this helpless man,

Would that have drove my conscience wild?

For what was a feeling of sadness, joy I was brought.

From such a simple favor,

later there was happiness through appreciation.

From what I have seen and learned,

Chivalry is indeed not dead,

Through courteous behavior.

No comments:

Post a Comment